Despite their purported use to protect user anonymity while browsing the internet, 23% of VPN providers may actually leak user IP addresses, according to a security report from VoidSec.
Of the VPN providers tested, here are the ones that leaked IP addresses:
- BolehVPN (USA Only)
- ChillGlobal (Chrome and Firefox Plugin)
- Glype (Depends on the configuration)
- Hola!VPN Chrome Extension
- HTTP PROXY navigation in browser that support Web RTC
- IBVPN Browser Addon
- PHP Proxy
- psiphon3 (not leaking if using L2TP/IP)
- SOCKS Proxy on browsers with Web RTC enabled
- SumRando Web Proxy
- TOR as PROXY on browsers with Web RTC enabled
- Windscribe Addons
According to the post, Brave, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Google Chrome on Android, Samsung’s browser, Opera, and Vivaldi all have WebRTC enabled by default, the report noted.
Adapted from an article on techrepublic.com
If you have any questions regarding this subject, please do not hesitate to contact us here at Frankenstein!
Frankenstein Computers has been taking care of our happy clients since 1999. We specialize in IT Support, IT Service, MAC repair, PC Repair, Virus Removal, web design and much more.